balance : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a state of equilibrium
- n equality between the totals of the credit and debit sides of an account
- n harmonious arrangement or relation of parts or elements within a whole (as in a design)
in all perfectly beautiful objects there is found the opposition of one part to another and a reciprocal balance"- John Ruskin
- n equality of distribution
- n something left after other parts have been taken away
he took what he wanted and I got the balance
- n the difference between the totals of the credit and debit sides of an account
- n (astrology) a person who is born while the sun is in Libra
- n the seventh sign of the zodiac; the sun is in this sign from about September 23 to October 22
- n (mathematics) an attribute of a shape or relation; exact reflection of form on opposite sides of a dividing line or plane
- n a weight that balances another weight
- n a wheel that regulates the rate of movement in a machine; especially a wheel oscillating against the hairspring of a timepiece to regulate its beat
- n a scale for weighing; depends on pull of gravity
- v bring into balance or equilibrium
She has to balance work and her domestic duties
balance the two weights
- v compute credits and debits of an account
- v hold or carry in equilibrium
- v be in equilibrium
- With 85 million baby boomers and 50 million Gen Xers, there is already a yawning generation gap among American workers--particularly in their ideas of work-life balance.
- Humans keep their balance using the vestibular system's signals, along with visual cues and touch sensations.
- An excellent source of information on our balance sheet, by the way, is a new section of the Board's website, entitled Credit and Liquidity Programs and the Balance Sheet.
News & Articles
- Hearing and Balance Institute of the Rockies Launches New Website
Dr. Terri Ives, a board certified doctor of audiology in Lone Tree, CO, is pleased to announce the launch of her new website for current and potential patients. The new website is designed to showcase Hearing and Balance Institute of the Rockies for existing patients and potential new patients across the United States. (PRWeb June 18, 2013) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases ...
June 18, 2013 - PRWeb
- Udall says balance needed on privacy and security
Sen. Mark Udall said Sunday that the balance between guarding Americans' Constitutional privacy rights and shielding the country from another terrorist attack "doesn't have to be all or nothing.
June 17, 2013 - Denver Post
- New Balance Nationals: Carmel boys relay, Suffern girls relay pick up all-America honors
The Carmel boys distance medley relay team ran 10 minutes, 8.22 seconds to set a school record, finish second and earn all-America honors Sunday in the New Balance Nationals at North Carolina A&T in Greensboro. From left: Eric Holt, Cyd (cq) Scott, Benito Muniz, Louie Velazquez.
June 17, 2013 - The Journal News
- Lindsay Lohan in TIME
Lohan, through sobs, addressed the court just prior to sentencing: "I did do everything I was told, and did the best I could to balance jobs and showing up," she told the judge. "It's just been such a long haul I don't want you to think I...
- Barack Obama in The Gazette (Montreal)
Obama said he was struggling with "how to balance creating a process that adheres to rule of law, habeas corpus, basic principles of Anglo-American legal system, but doing it in a way that doesn't result in releasing people who are intent on blowing...
- Phil Woolas in BBC News
But Mr Woolas, who became immigration minister in the reshuffle earlier this month, said: "This government isn't going to allow the population to go up to 70 million. There has to be a balance between the number of people coming in and the number of...