- r to a severe or serious degree
fingers so badly frozen they had to be amputated
- r (`ill' is often used as a combining form) in a poor or improper or unsatisfactory manner; not well
the car runs badly
he performed badly on the exam
- r evilly or wickedly
treated his parents badly
to steal is to act badly
- r in a disobedient or naughty way
he behaved badly in school
- r with great intensity (`bad' is a nonstandard variant for `badly')
the injury hurt badly
the buildings were badly shaken
- r very much; strongly
I wanted it badly enough to work hard for it
the cables had sagged badly
they were badly in need of help
- r without skill or in a displeasing manner
she writes badly
I think he paints very badly
- r in a disadvantageous way; to someone's disadvantage
the venture turned out badly for the investors
- r unfavorably or with disapproval
thought badly of him for his lack of concern
- r with unusual distress or resentment or regret or emotional display
they took their defeat badly
took her father's death badly
conducted himself very badly at the time of the earthquake
- He then had dozens of meetings with other lawmakers, emphasizing how badly the region needed the money but never publicly blasting Congress for moving too slowly.
- We've been borrowing, borrowing, borrowing living off and believing in the wealth effect, first in stocks, which ended badly, then in real estate, which has ended even worse.
- The Kursk may have been so badly damaged that it will break apart while being raised, releasing radioactive materials.
News & Articles
- Global Markets Take Hit from China Data, Fed Plan
Asian markets buckled badly on Thursday after the Federal Reserve heralded an eventual end to free money and China turned the screw on credit even as factory activity in the world's second largest economy hit a nine-month low.
June 20, 2013 - FOX Business
- Teaching teachers — badly
Teaching teachers — badly Times Union Copyright 2013 Times Union. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 7:13 am, Wednesday, June 19, 2013 The nation's teacher preparation programs are failing miserably and future educators leave college unprepared for an actual classroom, according to a report released Tuesday. Too many schools ...
June 19, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- So how badly is Greg Whittington injured? (UPDATED)
How badly is Greg Whittington injured? That’s the biggest question facing Georgetown heading into the summer, because at this point, we know that Whittington is dealing with some kind of a knee injury. Late Monday night, Casual Hoya reported that Whittington was hobbling around on crutches. Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com and Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com…
June 18, 2013 - NBC Sports: Beyond the Arc
- Barack Obama in Globe and Mail
It is pretty clear the system failed, and it failed badly,Mr. Obama said. "For that, there is enough responsibility to go around."