- n a disloyal person who betrays or deserts his cause or religion or political party or friend etc.
- s not faithful to religion or party or cause
- John opposed some of President's tax cuts, making him an apostate to the party's tax-cutting faithful.
- Muslim hardliners branded Taslima "an apostate appointed by imperial forces to vilify Islam".
- Republican apostate Arlen Specter's move to join the Democrats has shaken Congress, but he's not alone.
- Bill Donohue in Boston Globe (registration)
Catholic League president Bill Donohue said: "Hagee has waged an unrelenting war against the Catholic Church. For example, he likes calling it 'The Great Whore,' an 'apostate church,' the 'anti-Christ,' and a 'false cult system.' "
- Osama bin Laden in guardian.co.uk
In a speech released this week, Bin Laden said of foreign troops in Sudan: "This is a brazen occupation, and only an infidel apostate seeks it or agrees to it."
- John Hagee in International Herald Tribune
In his letter, Hagee said he now better understood that the Book of Revelation's reference to the Catholic Church as "the apostate church" and the "great whore" are "a rhetorical device long employed in anti-Catholic literature and...