- n a very old person
- n a person who lived in ancient times
- s belonging to times long past especially of the historical period before the fall of the Western Roman Empire
ancient civilizations such as those of the Etruscans and Sumerians
- s very old
an ancient mariner
- Alexandria Rising Vast fragmentary figures retrieved from the Mediterranean seabed reveal the richness of a nearly-forgotten city of the ancient world.
- Here's a case in, um, point: Is the ancient spear in the Imperial Treasury at Vienna's Hofburg Palace really the one that a Roman centurion used to pierce the side of the crucified .
- ancient hoofbeats in tibet, a missing link in equine evolution? julie k.
News & Articles
- Ancient Kangaroo Teeth Reveal Australia’s Tropical Past
The fossilized teeth of ancient marsupials that roamed through northeastern Australia roughly 2.5 million years ago suggest these animals fed on leafy plants in a much more lush and tropical environment than was previously thought, according to a new study.
June 12, 2013 - LiveScience.com via Yahoo! News
- Ancient marsupial teeth reveal Australia's tropical past
By Denise ChowLiveScience The fossilized teeth of ancient marsupials that roamed through northeastern Australia roughly 2.5 million years ago suggest these animals fed on leafy plants in a much more lush and tropical environment than was previously thought, according to a new study.A chemical analysis of tooth enamel from extinct marsupialsin Queensland, the second-largest state in Australia ...
June 12, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- Museum Brings Art of the Ancient Near East to the Northwest
The Hallie Ford Museum of Art in Salem, Oregon will be the sole United States venue showcasing 64 ancient artworks created between 6000 - 500 B.C. from an area stretching from Turkey to Iran, which is often referred to as "the cradle of civilization." The exhibition will be on display from August 31 to December 22, 2013. (PRWeb June 12, 2013) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases ...
June 12, 2013 - PRWeb
- Pope Benedict XVI in AFP
The ancient tradition of pilgrimage to the holy places also reminds us of the inseparable bond between the Church and the Jewish people,Benedict said at Mount Nebo, where the Bible says God showed the Promised Land to Moses.
- Zhang Yimou in The Age
Prior to the ceremony, Zhang told Chinese media the event's central theme would centre around "the ancient and long history of the Chinese nation ...... (and) reflect the cultural aspects of Chinese society and showcase what modern China and its...
- Samuel Alito in Wall Street Journal (blog)
Self defense is a basic right, recognized by many legal systems from ancient times to the present day,wrote Justice Samuel Alito.