witching : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the use or practice of witchcraft
- v cast a spell over someone or something; put a hex on someone or something
- s possessing or using or characteristic of or appropriate to supernatural powers
'tis now the very witching time of night"- Shakespeare
- This situation is caused by a witching hour of three factors.
- Fact 2: Markopolos once slept in a dumpster in the East 60's while staking out Bernie Madoff on the weekend after a triple witching options expiration, just to have first dibs on .
- Says Terry Hartle of the American Council on Education, a lobbying firm that represents 1,800 colleges and universities: "What you're seeing in California is a double witching hour.
News & Articles
- Quadruple Witching Strikes on Summer Solstice
Markets may be higher despite the prospect of "Witching Hour" later in the trading day exasperating any sell-off. But traders aren't resting on their laurels, with volatility surging higher after a major sell-off on Thursday.
June 21, 2013 - CNBC
- Benzinga Market Primer: Friday, June 21
Futures Rise On Quadruple Witching U.S. equity futures gained in early pre-market trade Friday after Thursday's sell off as Chinese lending rates eased. The overnight SHIBOR rate fell to 7.9
June 21, 2013 - Nasdaq
- U.S. stocks little changed day after S&P 500 takes drubbing
Trading may be more volatile than usual as futures and options contracts expire in a process known as quadruple witching.
June 21, 2013 - The Star-Ledger
- Annette Haven in San Jose Mercury News
My dear, let me tell you, all this stuff about going at midnight, at the witching hour - that's just bunk,says Martin, a grandmotherly woman with a sunny disposition and smiling eyes that look right through you. "You can go in broad...
- Anne Rice in St. Petersburg Times
I wanted to be a saint. I wanted to be like St. Rose of Lima,Rice says. "She could toss roses in the air and they'd stay as a wreath; she was so powerful as a saint. I used that image in The Witching Hour. I had Lasher, the evil spirit,...
- Robert Hass in Atlantic Online
In the New York Times review of The Crossing, Robert Hass praised the effect: "It is a matter of straight-on writing, a veering accumulation of compound sentences, stinginess with commas, and a witching repetition of words ...... Once this style is...