- n a measure of the depth of water taken with a sounding line
- n the act of measuring depth of water (usually with a sounding line)
- v appear in a certain way
- v make a certain noise or sound
- v give off a certain sound or sounds
- v announce by means of a sound
- v utter with vibrating vocal chords
- v cause to sound
- v measure the depth of (a body of water) with a sounding line
- s appearing to be as specified; usually used as combining forms
taken in by high-sounding talk
- s having volume or deepness
sounding brass and a tinkling cymbal
the sounding cataract haunted me like a passion"- Wordsworth
- s making or having a sound as specified; used as a combining form
- Type in up to six names you like, and Nymbler will suggest dozens of similar-sounding suggestions.
- It was heady, fine-sounding stuff on paper.
- An odd-sounding phrase, perhaps, from the man who wrote the gushy words of head-over-heels devotion to Maria for West Side Story, the anthem to unrequited passion, Losing My Mind .
News & Articles
- NBA roundup: Heat, Pacers face winner-take-all game
As the final horn in a Game 6 loss to the Indiana Pacers was sounding, LeBron James walked toward several Heat teammates to shake some hands and share a couple of quick words.
June 12, 2013 - Detroit Free Press
- For Dinner Tonight: London Broil
Despite its fancy sounding name, this dish is easy to prepare and cooks in less than 30 minutes. The London broil cut is lean, so there is little fat or grizzle to contend with. You gotta like that. Pair with a green salad and some mini roasted potatoes and — voila! — instant dinner. The biggest time-consumer here is the wait time that is recommended between prep and cooking (3 hours to ...
June 11, 2013 - Detroit Metro Times
- Sheriff Mims speaks in D.C. on immigration reform
The Fresno County Sheriff is in Washington D.C. sounding off on immigration. Sheriff Mims joined a panel of other representatives from across the U.S. who were invited to the White House to talk about the lack of immigration reform. Sheriff Mims says those living in the Valley illegally, often find themselves victims. "What I hear from our farmers is they have employees that are assaulted ...
June 11, 2013 - CBS 47 Fresno
- John Paul Jones in BBC News
Jones told BBC Radio Devon: "We are trying out a couple of singers. We want to do it. It's sounding great and we want to get on and get out there."
- Barack Obama in Dallas Morning News
If we agree on 90 percent of this stuff, and we're spending all our time on television arguing about 1, 2, 3 percent of the spending in this thing ...... that starts sounding more like politics,Obama said.
- Black Thought in International Herald Tribune
It was just sounding better and better as the months went on,said Black Thought. "The pros outweighed the cons."