shook : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a disassembled barrel; the parts packed for storage or shipment
- v move or cause to move back and forth
The chemist shook the flask vigorously
- v move with or as if with a tremor
his hands shook
- v shake or vibrate rapidly and intensively
- v move back and forth or sideways
- v undermine or cause to waver
The bad news shook her hopes
- v stir the feelings, emotions, or peace of
These stories shook the community
the civil war shook the country
- v get rid of
- v bring to a specified condition by or as if by shaking
- v shake (a body part) to communicate a greeting, feeling, or cognitive state
She shook her finger at the naughty students
The old enemies shook hands
- The theft shook France: the country's borders were closed, administrators at the museum were dismissed, enemies of traditional art were suspected of evil intentions.
- Like a lot of folks in the San Francisco area, Amadeo Peter Giannini was thrown from his bed in the wee hours of April 18, 1906, when the Great Quake shook parts of the city to .
- Cavorting sullenly before Hollywood cameras last week, Sexhibitionist Elvis Presley got all shook up by his pelvic pulsations, dislodged a cap prettifying one of his teeth, inhaled .
News & Articles
- 5.8-magnitude earthquake shakes Mexico City
MEXICO CITY, June 16 (UPI) -- A 5.8-magnitude earthquake shook Mexico early Sunday, knocking out power and cell phone service in parts of Mexico City, officials said.
June 16, 2013 - UPI
- US Open Golf 2013: Day 3 Leaderboard Analysis, Highlights and More
Phil Mickelson shook off a shaky start to finish strong and end the third round of the 2013 U.S. Open with sole possession of the lead. He leads Hunter Mahan, Charl Schwartzel and Steve Stricker, who are tied for second at even par. Take a look at the leaderboard, and then I'll recap the third-round action. Low scores were not easy to come by on this day. On moving day at the U.S. Open ...
June 16, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Springfield Township High School students take music to Woodmere Art Museum
Sophomore Sean Ellis’ hands shook subtly. “I’m very nervous,” the baritone, from Springfield Township High School, admitted with a grin as his friends and fellow musicians laughed good-naturedly. However, Ellis’ confident, expressive performance of “Make Them Hear You” from the musical “Ragtime” at Springfield’s chamber recital masked any unease he felt and received hearty applause.
June 13, 2013 - Springfield Sun
- Chiune Sugihara in MyFox Kansas City
It was scary. It was difficult to stand up,said Sachiko Sugihara, a convenience store worker in the town of Oshushi interviewed by NHK. "The TV fell over and the refrigerator shook."
- Joe Torre in RealGM.com
He was busy stretching and talking to other people, so that's not what I call disrespect,Torre said afterward. "If we had come close enough, I'm certain that we would have shook hands. I wasn't there solely for him to come over."
- Bert van Marwijk in The Associated Press
I shook his hand and understood that he was disappointed; that's not a bad thing,Van Marwijk said Monday. "Everyone wants to play the whole game."