- n one of four equal parts
a quarter of a pound
- n a district of a city having some distinguishing character
- n (football, professional basketball) one of four divisions into which some games are divided
both teams scored in the first quarter
- n a unit of time equal to 15 minutes or a quarter of an hour
it's a quarter til 4
a quarter after 4 o'clock
- n one of four periods into which the school year is divided
the fall quarter ends at Christmas
- n a fourth part of a year; three months
unemployment fell during the last quarter
- n one of the four major division of the compass
the wind is coming from that quarter
- n a quarter of a hundredweight (25 pounds)
- n a quarter of a hundredweight (28 pounds)
- n a United States or Canadian coin worth one fourth of a dollar
he fed four quarters into the slot machine
- n an unspecified person
he dropped a word in the right quarter
- n the rear part of a ship
- n piece of leather that comprises the part of a shoe or boot covering the heel and joining the vamp
- n clemency or mercy shown to a defeated opponent
he surrendered but asked for quarter
- v provide housing for (military personnel)
- v pull (a person) apart with four horses tied to his extremities, so as to execute him
in the old days, people were drawn and quartered for certain crimes
- v divide into quarters
quarter an apple
- v divide by four; divide into quarters
- In the second quarter of 2009 alone, sales were down an eye-popping 30% across the company's three name outlets: the flagship Abercrombie brand, which has 567 stores; Hollister, a .
- In the final quarter of last year, the economy sank at a rate of 5.
- In the third quarter, real GDP decreased 0.
News & Articles
- AMSC Reports Fourth Quarter 2012 Financial Results and Provides Business Outlook
Revenues for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 were $20.4 million, compared with $28.6 million for the same period of fiscal 2011 and $17.4 million for the third quarter of fiscal 2012. The improvement from the third quarter was driven by higher revenues in both the Company's Wind and Grid segments. AMSC's net loss for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 narrowed to $19.8 million, or $0.35 per ...
June 14, 2013 - CNBC
- Citi Second Quarter 2013 Earnings Review
Citigroup will issue its second quarter results via press release at approximately 8:00 AM on Monday, July 15, 2013. At 10:00 AM , results will be reviewed via live webcas
June 14, 2013 - Business Wire via Yahoo! Finance
- Toys R Us 1st quarter net-loss widens
Toys R Us said Friday its first-quarter loss widened, hurt by continued weakness in the video game sector and cool weather. Toys R Us, the largest specialty toy retailer in the U.S., has struggled with ...
June 14, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Ben Bernanke in ABC News
Bernanke said he and his colleagues believe economic activity will "slow noticeably in the fourth quarter" compared to the 3.9 percent pace of the third quarter.
- Vicente del Bosque in The Canadian Press
If you had to choose one of the other seven who reached the quarter-finals, I don't know which one would be the easiest,he said. "Paraguay, like all of the South American teams, show so much character, with players who exercise great...
- Bert van Marwijk in The Guardian (blog)
We beat Italy and France and everybody thought we would become European champions,he said. "But we didn't even survive the quarter-finals because we thought that we were already there. That's what I've tried to make clear to the players,...