- n a cue given to a performer (usually the beginning of the next line to be spoken)
the audience could hear his prompting
- n (computer science) a symbol that appears on the computer screen to indicate that the computer is ready to receive a command
- v give an incentive for action
- v serve as the inciting cause of
She prompted me to call my relatives
- v assist (somebody acting or reciting) by suggesting the next words of something forgotten or imperfectly learned
- s according to schedule or without delay; on time
the train is prompt
- s ready and willing or quick to act;
she is always prompt to help her friends
- s performed with little or no delay
a prompt reply
- The economic downturn and growing frustrations with reforms could prompt protesting French students to turn violent.
- Withdrawing support from Baghdad would prompt it to turn to Iran even China might be willing to kick in a few billion if that could buy an edge in oil deals.
- For many people, the sight of a TV commercial is a prompt to either bolt to the kitchen for a quick bite or hit the remote for a quick escape.
News & Articles
- $1 million needed to restore Our Lady of Prompt Succor shrine
Bill Capo / Eyewitness News Email: email@example.com | Twitter: @billcapo NEW ORLEANS -- The National Shrine to Our Lady of Prompt Succor is the elegant Catholic Church on the Ursuline Academy campus, with the 200-year old statue of Jesus and his mother on the altar. In 1815, as General Andrew Jackson faced a huge British army in the Battle of New Orleans, the Ursuline nuns prayed all night to ...
June 13, 2013 - WWL-TV, Channel 4 New Orleans
- U.S. Stock Futures Slide, Signaling Fourth Day of Losses
U.S. stock futures fell, indicating the first four-day slide for the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index this year, as investors awaited a retail-sales report amid speculation a strengthening economy may prompt the Federal Reserve to pare stimulus.
June 13, 2013 - Bloomberg
- Long Weekends Prompt Aussie Singles to Look for Love
SYDNEY, June 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Long weekends and public holidays are prompting Aussie singles to look for love, with new research by eHarmony showing a significant spike in registration figures ...
June 12, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Barack Obama in Contra Costa Times
Cuba's future should be determined by the Cuban people and not by an anti-democratic successor regime,Obama said. "The prompt release of all prisoners of conscience wrongly jailed for standing up for the basic freedoms too long denied to...
- Robert Gates in Wall Street Journal
The shootings at Fort Hood raise a number of troubling questions that demand complete but prompt answers,Mr. Gates told reporters. "All that is left for us to do is everything in our power to prevent similar tragedies from occurring in the...
- Jose Maria Olazabal in SI.com
I saw Seve looking very well. We were speaking for quite a little while,Olazabal told Spanish news agency Efe. "I wish him a prompt recovery."