overpower : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v overcome by superior force
- v overcome, as with emotions or perceptual stimuli
- As clothes became less flashy--as Versace gave way to Prada--designers turned to models who were less glamorous, so they wouldn't overpower the clothing.
- If you have one guy running the country yet you have millions of people in that country, they already overpower him.
- For the smartest of these kids, those who quickly overpower schoolwork that flummoxes peers, skipping a grade isn't about showing off.
News & Articles
- Bangkok: the world’s most-touristed city?
Bangkok’s allure — a swirl of intoxicating cuisine, cheap shopping, glittering temples and raucous nightlife —is potent enough to overpower its drawbacks.
June 14, 2013 - GlobalPost
- Group of suspected illegal immigrants overpower captor
HOUSTON -- At least seven suspected illegal immigrants, including children, escaped from a northeast Houston home on Tuesday. A neighbor called police after seeing several people run from the house on Hoffman near Calvacade. They said a man with a gun held them against their will. They apparently overpowered him and ran for help, according to police. One man has been arrested for aggravated ...
June 12, 2013 - KHOU 11 Houston
- Flashes of brilliance
CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Its perfectly OK, for now at least, that Tyler Glasnow is a bit unpredictable, that he may overpower hitters on occasion and then struggle to find the plate. Hes a 19-year-old Power right-hander, a raw talent who touched 97 mph on the ...
June 10, 2013 - The Charleston Gazette
- Luke Donald in Los Angeles Times
Yeah, I suppose it'sa course I just enjoy,Donald said. "You don't have to overpower it, you don't have to be ultra-long to be successful. It's more about placing it. I have good thoughts and good feelings about this place when I play here,...
- Kevin Youkilis in USA Today
He's using his sinker and not trying to overpower guys as much,Youkilis said. "He's using his curveball and throwing that for strikes, using his change-up and throwing that for strikes. His off-speed stuff is the key to his success. A lot...
- Martin Brodeur in International Herald Tribune
I tried to give him something to take, and I gave him a little of my glove,Brodeur said. "He took it. He has a hard shot and I thought he would try to overpower me, and that's what he did. He made a good try. I got a little piece of it,...