- n a sign of something about to happen
he looked for an omen before going into battle
- n a strategically located monarchy on the southern and eastern coasts of the Arabian Peninsula; the economy is dominated by oil
- v indicate by signs
- The word auspice, meaning sign or omen, is telescoped from the Latin words avis, bird, and specere, to see.
- For him, the decapitation of the mosque in Samarra was an omen of doom.
- Was it a bad omen? "I think this is a sign of Singapore in big trouble," worried one Internet commentator.
News & Articles
- Skokie superfan has been to 2,152 consecutive Hawks games
Bob Gertenrich has a strange feeling the Hawks will beat the Bruins in Game 7. You might brush off the prediction if you didn’t know Gertenrich has been absorbing team vibes from his upper deck perch for 2,152 consecutive home games — a record streak the 66-year-old began in 1966 at age 19. Another possible omen: Gertenrich’s birthday falls on June 26, the day of Game 7. “I’d love to see them ...
June 12, 2013 - Chicago Sun-Times
- Stocks Pop And Credit Markets Drop As Hindenburg Omen Re-Appears
The cluster of Omens is starting to build - now 3 in the last 7 trading days. This cluster is now the most frequent since the 2007 highs - more 'clustery' than the 2010 signals. Volume today was dismal - among the lowest of the year in both futures and cash. Equity markets were bid out of the gate on the back of Japanese exuberance - and JPY carry - which oddly hadn't helped European risk ...
June 10, 2013 - Zero Hedge
- Attleboro natives look to brew hard cider
ATTLEBORO - It's said that an apple orchard once stood on the gritty parcel now occupied by an aging factory at 81 West St., which sidles up to the Ten Mile River in Attleboro. And if true, it could be a good omen for two budding brewers hoping to put the city "on the map" for its production of hard cider. Jeremy Quaglia and Kyle Schmitt, both 23 and Attleboro natives, are bubbling with ...
June 9, 2013 - Boston Herald