mean : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an average of n numbers computed by adding some function of the numbers and dividing by some function of n
- v mean or intend to express or convey
You never understand what I mean!
- v have as a logical consequence
The water shortage means that we have to stop taking long showers
- v denote or connote
`maison' means `house' in French
An example sentence would show what this word means
- v have in mind as a purpose
I mean no harm
I only meant to help you
- v have a specified degree of importance
My ex-husband means nothing to me
Happiness means everything
- v intend to refer to
Yes, I meant you when I complained about people who gossip!
- v destine or designate for a certain purpose
These flowers were meant for you
- s approximating the statistical norm or average or expected value
the mean annual rainfall
- s characterized by malice
in a mean mood
- s having or showing an ignoble lack of honor or morality
taking a mean advantage
chok'd with ambition of the meaner sort"- Shakespeare
something essentially vulgar and meanspirited in politics
- s excellent
famous for a mean backhand
- s marked by poverty befitting a beggar
a mean hut
- s (used of persons or behavior) characterized by or indicative of lack of generosity
a mean person
- s (used of sums of money) so small in amount as to deserve contempt
- s of no value or worth
- But what does it mean, exactly, to be a man these days? Once upon a Darwinian time, a man was the one spearing the woolly mammoth.
- The same as it has always meant.
- What does God mean to you? Paul Casey, Dublin, Ireland When I race, I don't think about it, it just happens.
- Stan Van Gundy in NBA.com
It's gotten ridiculous,Magic coach Stan Van Gundy told the Orlando Sentinel Wednesday at the summer league in that city. "I mean it's almost like a parody of itself, this whole situation now. Come on, an hour long? It takes 15 seconds to...
- Barack Obama in Daily Caller
Her campaign puts out a memo saying, 'Well, she didn't mean that,'Obama said to more laughter. "They said there was some 'confusion.' And I'm sure she meant 'slush fund' in the nicest possible way."
- Elizardo Sanchez in Independent
These liberations will not mean a significant improvement in the terrible situation of human rights that exists in Cuba,he said. "It's opening the prisons a little, and not to everyone."