- n an infectious disease of animals and humans (especially newborn or immunosuppressed persons) caused by the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes; in sheep and cattle the infection frequently involves the central nervous system and causes various neurological symptoms
- About one-third of listeriosis cases occur among pregnant women; they usually survive, but they risk losing their unborn child.
- Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman pledged to step up testing after last summer's outbreak of listeriosis seven deaths, three miscarriages and dozens of hospitalizations .
- The symptoms of listeriosis can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to show up.
- Gerry Ritz in USA Today
I would like to address some comments I made in the midst of the listeriosis outbreak,Ritz told supporters last night, according to the paper. "It was a highly stressful time. Many people were working countless hours and attending...
- Stephane Dion in Edmonton Sun
This is a minister who thinks it's appropriate to misinform Canadians about food safety during the world's worst listeriosis outbreak,said Liberal Leader Stephane Dion. "This is a minister who thinks it's appropriate to make jokes about...
- Wayne Easter in Toronto Star
I've already called for Mr. Ritz's resignation over his handling of the listeriosis outbreak and his failure to tell the truth to Canadians about the government's role in it,Easter said.