- n the basic unit of money on Malta; equal to 100 cents
- n the basic unit of money in Turkey
- n formerly the basic unit of money in Italy; equal to 100 centesimi
- The devaluation of the British pound also hit the Italian lira.
- A suave oval-faced Italian with a scrubby Vandyke beard, added half a cent last week to the value of the lira.
- One of the major moves by which Benito Mussolini jacked his country above the status of a second-class power was to put the lira, previously a wobbly joke currency, squarely on .
News & Articles
- Lira Heads for Highest This Month as Protests Subdued in Turkey
The lira gained for a third day, set for its highest level this month, and bonds rose as calm returned to Istanbul’s Taksim Square after two weeks of clashes between anti-government demonstrators and riot police.
June 13, 2013 - Bloomberg
- Turkish lira supported by central bank amid protest standoff
ISTANBUL (Reuters) - The Turkish lira continued to firm on Thursday in the wake of central bank action to stabilize markets, although it was yet to be seen if the ruling AK Party's latest bid to quell anti-government protests would be effective. Turkish markets have been hit over the last two weeks as uncertainty over the outlook for U.S. Federal Reserve money-printing coincided with protests ...
June 13, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Lira Rallies 2nd Day as Central Bank Stands Against Volatility
The lira advanced for a second day as central bank Governor Erdem Basci said he’d intervene to tame currency volatility and as calm returned to Istanbul this morning after a night of violence. Bond yields fell.
June 12, 2013 - Bloomberg
- Gennaro Gattuso in Times of India
At the beginning of it we didn't even believe it was possible, no one would have put 1000 lira on us,added Gattuso, referring to the country's former currency before it joined the euro.
- Silvio Berlusconi in AFP
I have never paid one lira, one euro for sexual favours,Berlusconi said Thursday.
- Adnan Oktar in Independent
Adnan Oktar said that he has "issued a call to all evolutionists" that he will give "10 trillion Turkish lira to anyone who produces a single intermediate-form fossil demonstrating evolution" - a sum roughly equal to Â£4.4trn.