linebacker : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a defensive football player who takes a position close behind the linemen
- n (American football) the position of a defensive football player who plays close behind the line of scrimmage
- In 1996, linebacker Marlin Barnes was bludgeoned to death in his campus apartment.
- San Diego Chargers star outside linebacker Shawne Merriman says he didn't harm a reality TV star who has accused him of choking and restraining her.
- The company also signed up NASCAR driver Tony Stewart and Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher as spokesmen.
- Mike Holmgren in 940 News
Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren called Tatupu's three-interception day in a win at Philadelphia on Dec. 2 "one of the great games I've ever seen a linebacker have."
- Brett Favre in USA Today
I said, 'What do you play?' He said, 'I play center,' said Favre, who weighed 252 pounds at the time. "He says to me, 'What do you play, linebacker?' And from that point on, we were inseparable."
- Marvin Lewis in KSTP.com
The NFL provided Odell the opportunity to earn his way back onto our team, but we have not seen the right steps taken by him,Lewis said in a statement. "With our offseason work in progress and new talent added at our linebacker position,...