liner : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n (baseball) a hit that flies straight out from the batter
the batter hit a liner to the shortstop
- n a protective covering that protects an inside surface
- n a piece of cloth that is used as the inside surface of a garment
- n a large commercial ship (especially one that carries passengers on a regular schedule)
- Last week, the largest of these ships, the sleek two-funneled 51,100-ton Rex, fourth largest liner in the world, dashed from Gibraltar toward Manhattan, against hard winds .
- Hard-liners attacked senior pro-reform leaders in the streets as tens of thousands marched in competing mass demonstrations by the opposition and government supporters.
- Streamers of colored paper linked ship and pier, bright specks of confetti dotted the air between waving throngs on the dock and the gay crowd on the liner's deck high above them.
News & Articles
- Duchess formally names cruise liner
LONDON (AP) — The Duchess of Cambridge has officially named a cruise liner at a gala ceremony. The former Kate Middleton, wearing a black and white print coat and a black hat, boarded the Royal Princess for the naming ceremony, which included a blessing and the traditional smashing of a bottle across the hull. read more
June 13, 2013 - The Times Record
- Board divided over 8-liner permit request
SEGUIN — Planning and Zoning Commission members were split Tuesday evening in granting a permit for another eight-liner game room in the city.
June 13, 2013 - Seguin Gazette-Enterprise
- High Liner Foods Lends Dock Space To The Greater Boston Food Bank To Facilitate Regional Deliveries for Boston-Area ...
High Liner Foods, the leading value-added frozen seafood supplier in North America, today announced a partnership with The Greater Boston Food Bank to donate the use of dock space at its Peabody, MA facility.
June 12, 2013 - Business Wire via Yahoo! Finance
- John Howard in International Herald Tribune
This is a glib one-liner to say that our wealth is entirely due to the resources boom,Howard told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. "I reject entirely the argument that it's all about China."
- Barack Obama in News24
We're going to stay with it as long as I'm in this office,Obama said. "You look back four years from now, I think, hopefully, people will judge that body of work and say, This is a big ocean liner. It's not a speedboat." "It doesn't...
- Neelie Kroes in Wall Street Journal
I am confident that this regulation strikes the right balance between the interests of the liner carriers and those of transport users,said Neelie Kroes, the commission's competition commissioner.