license : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a legal document giving official permission to do something
- n freedom to deviate deliberately from normally applicable rules or practices (especially in behavior or speech)
- n excessive freedom; lack of due restraint
when liberty becomes license dictatorship is near"- Will Durant
the intolerable license with which the newspapers break...the rules of decorum"- Edmund Burke
- n the act of giving a formal (usually written) authorization
- v authorize officially
I am licensed to practice law in this state
- Wagenaar insists that such license-revocation laws are a step in the right direction, though critics argue that people will continue to drive, even without a license.
- Export license application processing deadlines were established by the Export Administration Amendments Act of 1985.
- One of the greatest neuropathologists of Europe was last week denied a license to practice medicine in New York.
News & Articles
- Nvida to License Out Graphics Technology
Nvidia will license graphics technology to other companies, a new model for the chipmaker that could lead to new business with Apple, Samsung and other mobile device makers.
June 18, 2013 - FOX Business
- Univa Releases License Orchestrator Integrated with Univa Grid Engine to Reduce and Optimize Software License Expenses
Univa, the Data Center Automation Company and home of Grid Engine, today announced the release of License Orchestrator to provide license management through Univa Grid Engine, the most widely deployed, distributed resource management software platform today.
June 18, 2013 - Business Wire via Yahoo! Finance
- UPDATE: Cancana Receives Operating License for Manganese Claim in Brazil, Awaits Water License; Shares Fall 7.5% in ...
UPDATE: Cancana Receives Operating License for Manganese Claim in Brazil, Awaits Water License; Shares Fall 7.5% in early Afternoon
June 18, 2013 - Nasdaq
- Steve Jobs in Washington Post
Convincing them to license their music to Apple and others DRM-free will create a truly interoperable music marketplace,Jobs wrote. "Apple will embrace this wholeheartedly."
- John Paul Stevens in Gaston Gazette
Decisions by NFL teams to license their separately owned trademarks collectively and to only one vendor are decisions that deprive the marketplace of ...... actual or potential competition,Justice John Paul Stevens wrote in his 9-0 opinion.
- Mario Lemieux in Brooks Bulletin
The Penguins organization will re-evaluate our situation after the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board makes the decision on the awarding of the Pittsburgh gaming license,Lemieux said.