- n a rigid bar pivoted about a fulcrum
- n a simple machine that gives a mechanical advantage when given a fulcrum
- n a flat metal tumbler in a lever lock
- v to move or force, especially in an effort to get something open
- Evidently, the lever technology needed such aggressive commercials fifteen states that had adopted the device since its mass production in 1892 had returned them by 1929 .
- Apparently the intuitive aversion to giving someone a lethal push is stronger than the aversion to a lethal lever pull.
- And he has recouped one more lever of power: in 2000 Florida Governor Jeb Bush reinstated the rights taken away by Colson's felony convictionincluding the right to vote.
News & Articles
- NYC wants its old mechanical-lever voting machines back
The New York City Board of Elections is hoping to replace state-of-the art optical scanning voting machines with decades-old mechanical-lever machines for the city's mayoral primary in September.
June 15, 2013 - Network World
- Potholes Reservoir region fishing action turning on for perch, walleye and bass
Here is a report from Mike Meseberg with MarDon Resort in the Potholes Reservoir of Eastern Washington: Perch fishing on the MarDon Dock continues to provide many families with limit lever perch catching. It continues to amaze our returning guests at MarDon Resort to see the increased populati
June 14, 2013 - Seattle Times
- Sponsored post: Finding the tools to move the earth
Archimedes asked only for a lever and a place to stand and promised he could move the earth. Maybe he was only playing 200 B.C. hype man for his mathematical musings on levers, but it's a point worth taking: Work smarter and accomplish great things.
June 13, 2013 - GigaOM
- Simon Fuller in SEO Web Design Firm
Simon Fuller said "Kara DioGuardi is a smart sassy lady and one of America's most successful songwriters. We know she will bring a high lever of energy and excitement in the show."
- Steve Jobs in Telegraph.co.uk
Hopefully we never have to pull that lever, but we would be irresponsible not to have a lever like that to pull,said Jobs.
- Karl Rove in Guardian Unlimited
Look, he's a very competitive guy,Rove said of Bush. "None of us is indispensable or unreplaceable except (Bush) and Dick Cheney, and they ain't going anywhere. And he will use every lever at his command and use every power that he's got...