- n readiness to embark on bold new ventures
- n the first of a series of actions
- s serving to set in motion
the initiative phase in the negotiations
- The initiative provides for a formal end to the conflict.
- Fresh German troops were reported moving last week toward the Russian front, where Adolf Hitler was trying desperately to regain the initiative.
- Last year it looked as if the initiative might rise from obscurity to supreme importance in the 1996 presidential election.
News & Articles
- Initiative to require gun background checks unveiled
After filing an initiative Tuesday, the Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility has until January to gather some 246,000 valid signatures for a proposal to require background checks for almost all gun sales.
June 12, 2013 - Seattle Times
- Initiative to elect Seattle City Council by districts will likely make ballot
A group called Seattle Districts Now on Tuesday submitted 46,633 signatures, more than enough to win a place on the ballot for an initiative that would have seven of nine Seattle City Council members elected by districts instead of running costly city-wide races. The measure would leave two City Council members to be elected at large by Seattle’s 617,000 residents, while putting the seven others ...
June 11, 2013 - seattlepi.com
- Bloomberg unveils initiative to protect New York City from climate change
Citing the perils of climate change and the devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Tuesday called for a sweeping $19.5 billion initiative that would include new coastal protections and zoning codes for the city as well as new standards for telecommunications and fuel provision. “I strongly believe we have [...]
June 11, 2013 - The Lookout via Yahoo! News
- John Kerry in Bloomberg
Under the right circumstances, if we could be confident that military efforts can be sustained and built on, then I would support the president, should he decide to send some additional troops to regain the initiative,Kerry said.
- Sergio Marchionne in Los Angeles Times
This initiative represents a key milestone in the rapidly changing landscape of the automotive sector,said Sergio Marchionne, chief executive of Fiat. "This agreement will offer both companies opportunities to gain access to the most...
- Condoleezza Rice in CNN International
We are very much applauding the efforts of a number of states, particularly the effort that President Mubarak has undertaken on behalf of Egypt. We're supporting that initiative,Rice said. "I've been in very close discussions with my Arab...