- v compel to behave in a certain way
- v impose something unpleasant
- v impose and collect
- s impressive in appearance
an imposing residence
- s used of a person's appearance or behavior; befitting an eminent person
the monarch's imposing presence
- Where Minutka Square -- with it imposing buildings that lead to Lenin Avenue -- once was nothing remained, just a huge, imposing void.
- Early dorms were imposing, monastic structures meant to separate students from the outside world, providing more privacy for classes and introspection.
- However, as with any reformer, the challenges facing Ma in his quest are as imposing as the goal he is seeking to achieve.
News & Articles
- Riddick Bowe Loses Kickboxing Debut Without Landing A Single Blow
Riddick Bowe was imposing in the boxing ring, with a dangerous combination of strenght and speed that made him one of the best heavyweights of the 1990s. But in the kickboxing ring, it’s a different story. The now 45-year-old Bowe made his comeback to the ring, only this time his sport of choice is Thai [...] Riddick Bowe Loses Kickboxing Debut Without Landing A Single Blow is a post from: The ...
June 15, 2013 - The Inquisitr
- House passes sweeping $638B defense bill imposing jail term for military sex crimes
Washington — The House has passed a sweeping $638 billion defense bill imposing new punishments on military members found guilty of rape or sexual assault.
June 14, 2013 - Detroit News
- JPMorgan must face lawsuit challenging mortgage fees
By Jonathan Stempel (Reuters) - JPMorgan Chase & Co must face a lawsuit accusing the largest U.S. bank of illegally imposing marked-up or unnecessary fees on delinquent mortgage borrowers, a federal judge ruled. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers in Oakland, California on Thursday rejected the bank's attempt to dismiss fraud and unjust enrichment claims by the plaintiff borrowers, who hope to ...
June 14, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Antonin Scalia in Chicago Tribune
In 2008, the court said it had no problem with "prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing...
- Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett in Xinhua
We will be imposing a freeze on all other official bilateral business with Iran until this situation is resolved,Beckett said in a statement in the House of Commons.
- Roger Goodell in New York Times
I specifically considered whether to impose a suspension on Coach Belichick,Goodell wrote. "I have determined not to do so, largely because I believe that the discipline I am imposing of a maximum fine and forfeiture of a first-round draft...