- n (Islam) the man who leads prayers in a mosque; for Shiites an imam is a recognized authority on Islamic theology and law and a spiritual guide
- The Mahdi, an imam who happens to be Ahmadinejad's favorite, has become the object of frenzied and government-nurtured worship.
- It is associated with three venerated Shi'ite imams, including the Mahdi, or Hidden Imam, who is believed to have disappeared in 878 into a tunnel directly under al-Askari.
News & Articles
- A two-way street for Islam
Does the West owe the Islamic world an explanation for the War on Terror? Afghan President Mohammed Karzai thinks so. So does the grand imam of Sunni Islam’s most prominent seat of learning, Cairo’s Al-Azhar University. A diplomatic envoy for the latter is calling on Pope Francis to...
June 12, 2013 - New York Post
- GZ mosque imam settles suits
The former religious leader of the controversial Ground Zero mosque project yesterday settled two multimillion-dollar lawsuits with his former financial backer. Robert Deak, a Westchester businessman, returned $1.35 million to Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf as part of the deal, a statement said. Rauf had sued Deak last year, alleging...
June 7, 2013 - New York Post
- Ex-Leader of Planned Mosque Near Ground Zero Settles Suit With Donor
The contributor, Robert Leslie Deak, returned $1.35 million to a charity led by the imam, Feisal Abdul Rauf, and said he was satisfied that the imam and his wife were not “involved in any wrongdoing.”
June 7, 2013 - New York Times
- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in New York Times
Referring to comments by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the leader of the Islamic revolution, Mr. Ahmadinejad said, "As the imam said, Israel must be wiped off the map."
- Muqtedar Khan in FOXNews
The imam has to be enlightened enough to recognize this violence happens, to not hide in denial or somehow blame it on American culture,said Khan, author of "American Muslims: Bridging Faith and Freedom." "In order to essentially...