- n a physiological need for food; the consequence of food deprivation
- n strong desire for something (not food or drink)
hunger for affection
- v feel the need to eat
- v have a craving, appetite, or great desire for
- v be hungry; go without food
- Iranian protester Farzaneh Dadkhah is helped after collapsing on the sixth day of a hunger strike outside the US embassy in central London.
- Unrest over food prices in countries like Haiti is proving again the role of hunger in fomenting revolution.
- He refuses a meal and states he is on hunger strike.
News & Articles
- Hunger strikers at Guantanamo Bay now number 104
GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba - For more than three months, the U.S. military has faced off with defiant prisoners on a hunger strike at Guantanamo Bay, strapping down as many as 44 each day to feed them a liquid nutrient mix through a nasal tube to prevent them from starving to death.
June 16, 2013 - Portland Press Herald
- Bicyclists hit the pavement for hunger
Bike riders participating in the 100-mile portion of the Great Owyhee Ride Against Hunger left the start line at the Ontario Train Depot early Saturday morning. The ride, which also had a 65-mile, a 5
June 16, 2013 - Argus Observer
- As hunger strike roils Guantanamo, ex-prisoner talks of his long protest and forced feeding
GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba — For more than three months, the U.S. military has faced off with defiant prisoners on a hunger strike at Guantanamo Bay, strapping down as many as 43 each day to feed them a liquid nutrient mix through a nasal tube to prevent them from starving to death.
June 15, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Vicente del Bosque in The Canadian Press
He's at the top of his form. He's first to the ball every time,coach Vicente del Bosque said. "Villa had that hunger for goal that allowed him to convert."
- Ban Ki-moon in Haber 27
Without full funding of these emergency requirements, we risk again the specter of widespread hunger, malnutrition, and social unrest on an unprecedented scale,Ban warned.
- Gordon Brown in BBC News
The World Health Organisation now views hunger as the number one threat to public health across the world, responsible for a third of child deaths and 10% of all disease,wrote Mr Brown. "Tackling hunger is a moral challenge to each of us...