- n a lofty level or position or degree
summer temperatures reached an all-time high
- n an air mass of higher than normal pressure
the east coast benefits from a Bermuda high
- n a state of sustained elation
I'm on a permanent high these days
- n a state of altered consciousness induced by alcohol or narcotics
they took drugs to get a high on
- n a high place
they stood on high and observed the countryside
- n a public secondary school usually including grades 9 through 12
he goes to the neighborhood highschool
- n a forward gear with a gear ratio that gives the greatest vehicle velocity for a given engine speed
- a greater than normal in degree or intensity or amount
a high temperature
a high price
the high point of his career
has high hopes
the river is high
he has a high opinion of himself
- a (literal meaning) being at or having a relatively great or specific elevation or upward extension (sometimes used in combinations like `knee-high')
a high mountain
a high forehead
a high incline
a foot high
- s standing above others in quality or position
people in high places
the high priest
- a used of sounds and voices; high in pitch or frequency
- s happy and excited and energetic
- s (used of the smell of meat) smelling spoiled or tainted
- s slightly and pleasantly intoxicated from alcohol or a drug (especially marijuana)
- r at a great altitude
he climbed high on the ladder
- r in or to a high position, amount, or degree
prices have gone up far too high
- r in a rich manner
he lives high
- r far up toward the source
he lives high up the river
- A new ad campaign by the Corn Refiners Association claims that high-fructose corn syrup is not as fattening as you think.
- AT the fall fashion shows in Paris, high among clothes that excited the press and buyers the most were those of Gabrielle Chanel.
- The high school musical has graduated from Oklahoma! and from High School Musical too.
- LeBron James in BYU Newsnet
I think the major factor and the major reason in my decision was the best opportunity to win, and to win now, and to the future also,James said. "Winning is a big thing for me, ever since I was a rookie or I was in high school. That was...
- Chris Broad in Hindu
I am extremely angry that we were promised high-level security and in our hour of need that security vanished,Broad said upon arrival in Manchester.
- David Cameron in The Associated Press
We are paying a high price for keeping our country safe, for making our world a safer place, and we should keep asking why we are there and how long we must be there,Cameron said.