eminent : Definition, Usages, News and More
- s standing above others in quality or position
eminent members of the community
- s of imposing height; especially standing out above others
an eminent peak
- The eminent scholar was caught on the wrong foot while answering questions outside her domain.
- The Kennedy clan, the pre-eminent American political family of our time, seems to be cast in the stars, the distant stuff of legend.
- He had personally landed in the new world four years earlier, with a newly minted Nobel Prize gold medal in his pocket, pre-eminent among a distillation of outstanding scientists .
News & Articles
- Apollo Financial Group Steps Up With Alternative to Eminent Domain Proposal
WASHINGTON D.C. -- via PRWEB - Wall Street's Apollo Financial Group poses an alternative solution to seizing mortgages by eminent domain and a paper by the New York Fed.
June 15, 2013 - GlobeNewswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Fremont using eminent domain for crucial downtown road extension
City officials say they have no plans right now to use eminent domain on other downtown properties, so nearby landlords and residents need not fear they're next for the wrecking ball.
June 13, 2013 - Contra Costa Times
- Eminent DomainBack On Table Following Fed's Latest Bailout Proposal
We first discussed the possibility of state and local governments using eminent domain to 'save us' from further housing issues a year ago but now the NY Fed has gone one step further with an academic-based justification for why this process is not a "zero-sum-game" and will render all stakeholders better off . We can hear echoes of "trust us" in this commentary as the authors explain how ...
June 12, 2013 - Zero Hedge
- Al Gore in Globe and Mail
Mr. Gore called the award meaningful because of his co-winner, calling the IPCC the "world's pre-eminent scientific body devoted to improving our understanding of the climate crisis."
- Mike McConnell in 940 News
Al-Qaida remains the pre-eminent threat against the United States,Mike McConnell told a Senate hearing more than six years after the Sept. 11 attacks.
- John Michuki in 940 News
We won the elections. ...... We do not see the point for anyone coming to mediate power-sharing,Michuki told reporters Monday. "We have not invited Kofi Annan or any other eminent personality to come and mediate."