grounder : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n (baseball) a hit that travels along the ground
- But in a losing cause, Rollins handled three hot shots to third flawlessly, and shut off a National League rally with a one-hand grab of Tommy Davis' ripping sixth-inning grounder.
- Then Burgess Whitehead slapped a grounder that unluckily struck Danning as he was running from first to second, thus putting him out for being hit with a batted ball.
- With a flick of the wrists, he smacked a grounder to deep short that San Diego's Ozzie Smith fielded flawlessly.
News & Articles
- MLB: Philadelphia 3, Minnesota 2
MINNEAPOLIS, June 13 (UPI) -- Ben Revere scored the go-ahead run on a fielder's choice grounder in the eighth inning Thursday, rallying Philadelphia to a 3-2 victory over Minnesota.
June 14, 2013 - UPI
- Kansas City 3, Detroit 2: Why the Tigers lost Monday
The Royals came back to score three runs in the bottom of the third, helped by a two-run triple by Salvador Perez and Lorenzo Cain beating out a grounder to short that enabled Perez to score.
June 14, 2013 - Detroit Free Press
- Decker lifts Northern Titans 16-U past Adirondack Hawks Red team 6-1
SARATOGA SPRINGS — Justin Decker did not like the way he misplayed a grounder in the top of Wednesday’s fourth inning, which turned the would-be third out into a 1-0 deficit for his Northern Titans.
June 13, 2013 - The Saratogian
- Terry Francona in ESPN
He's hurting today,Boston manager Terry Francona said. "When he finally did get on base, we ran for him just because if there was a grounder in the hole and he can't get to second, that puts him in an unfair position."
- Mike Lowell in Seattle Post Intelligencer
It's throbbing a little,Lowell said. "I prefer not to move it because I can't really move it with any force. Actually, in the top of the second, when I got a routine grounder, it hurt me a lot more. They want to see how it reacts tomorrow....
- Justin Verlander in USA Today
I got the grounder I wanted, but he put it in a good spot right down the line,Verlander said.