groundfish : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n fish that live on the sea bottom (particularly the commercially important gadoid fish like cod and haddock, or flatfish like flounder)
- He overruled a Tariff Commission recommendation that he raise the tariff and set quotas on groundfish fillets (cod, flounder, etc.
- Since World War II, Boston's trawler fleet has dropped from 140 to 79, its once huge force of fishermen to 2,000, its share of the vital groundfish market (e.
- Along with pollock and other groundfish, these nets indiscriminately draw in the creatures that swim or crawl alongside, including halibut, Pacific herring, Pacific salmon and king .
News & Articles
- NOAA's Bullard hosts Monday phone forum
Local fishermen have a chance Monday to sound off on the state of the local groundfish industry, and to learn about assistance available. John Bullard, Northeast regional administrator for NOAA Fisheries, is hosting an open conference call to solicit
June 22, 2013 - Gloucester Daily Times
- Federal Regulators Crack Down on Fish Fraud
In the wake of several high-profile cases of alleged scale-tamperingby Bering Sea groundfish vessels, the National Marine Fisheries Service is revising its regulations for weighing fish at-sea. The new measures are aimed at making it more difficult for vessels to under-report their catch.
June 17, 2013 - Alaska Public Radio Network
- Deval Patrick in Forbes
Everyone agrees that the stocks of groundfish in the waters off the coast of Massachusetts need to be replenished,Patrick said. "But recent regulatory actions have come down unfairly hard on our fishing fleet, and what I'm hearing is that...
- John Kerry in Gloucester Daily Times
Between 2000 and 2005,Kennedy and Kerry added about their state's fishery, "the number of active limited access vessels in Massachusetts with groundfish income fell by 30 percent, and the enactment (additional restrictions in 2006) led to...
- William Hogarth in Houston Chronicle
Our latest research shows encouraging increases in most of the groundfish stocks,Hogarth said. "There is not a commercial fishery failure and we're committed to doing everything we can to ensure one does not happen in the future."