gritty : Definition, Usages, News and More
- s composed of or covered with particles resembling meal in texture or consistency
- s willing to face danger
- Or could it just possibly be closer in grim, gritty spirit to the original Grimm-era fairy tales than the Disneyfied, infantilized versions we're used to?.
- The romance between Nancy Ann and a hard-muscled "recruit" picked up along the way is as earthy-gritty as their food during a dust storm.
- His is gritty, unglamorous workmounting sign-up booths at bodegas, analyzing census tracts, training school-board candidates.
News & Articles
- Coming Attractions: Wavy West 15th Street Office Tower to Add Some Funk to MePa
A lumberyard at the corner of West 15th Street and Ninth Avenue will soon depart for a much less gritty occupant. The Post reports that an undulating 12-story office tower designed by megafirm Kohn Pederson Fox will begin to rise...
June 19, 2013 - Curbed New York
- Don Mattingly's return to Yankee Stadium washed out
NEW YORK — Back in the 1980s, when the New York Yankees were in a championship drought, there was one player most fans were inevitably drawn to. The gritty first baseman with the thick eye black. The guy who crouched low and then uncoiled that sweet, powerful swing from the left side of the plate. Donnie Baseball. During a rare down period for baseball's most successful franchise, Don Mattingly ...
June 19, 2013 - Boston Herald
- Live chat: Future Power Rankings
Broaden your focus for a moment, past the nitty-gritty details of the schedules and two-deeps and likely storylines for the 2013 college football season, and ask yourself this: Which programs are most likely to be successful, not just this year but over the next three? That's exactly what we asked our panel of experts, and below we offer you the fruits of their labor: A top-25 ranking of the ...
June 18, 2013 - ESPN Blogs
- Doc Rivers in Sports Newscaster (blog)
Derek Fisher was the difference in the game,Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. "He's just a gutty, gritty player. Fisher basically took the game over."
- George Steinbrenner in Forbes
I guess heaven must have needed a shortstop,Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said in a statement. "He epitomized the Yankee spirit - gritty and hard charging - and he wore the pinstripes proudly."
- Larry Lucchino in USA Today
Dustin's style of play and tremendous work ethic have quickly made him a fan favorite,Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said. "He plays with a kind of gritty determination that serves as an inspiration not only to his teammates but to Red...