greenmail : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n (corporation) the practice of purchasing enough shares in a firm to threaten a takeover and thereby forcing the owners to buy those shares back at a premium in order to stay in business
- The tactics used by Disney and other greenmail targets came under very strong criticism last week.
- In a greenmail deal, a raider sells his shares in a target company back to the firm for a premium not available to other shareholders.
- They suspect that Pickens may be involved with Watanabe in a scheme to elicit a greenmail payment in return for the 20% stake.
News & Articles
- San Jose Denies 'Greenmail' Environmental Appeals
Critics of California environmental law called a labor group's legal challenge to a downtown San Jose high-rise an example of "greenmail" abuse in which unions threaten builders with bogus claims to control hiring.
Aug. 14, 2013 - HispanicBusiness.com
- San Jose denies 'greenmail' environmental appeals on high-rise project
The San Jose City Council on Tuesday voted to reject environmental challenges to a downtown high-rise and an airport development that critics of California's environmental quality act called "greenmail" shakedowns by private interests.
Aug. 14, 2013 - Contra Costa Times
- ANOTHER BULLET TRAIN MYTH EXPOSED
The widespread use of “greenmail” — blocking projects with contrived environmental objections to win payoffs or concessions — isn’t the only reason for cynicism about the use and misuse of California’s green regulations. Now we have the spectacle of California Attorney General Kamala Harris arguing that only federal laws, not much stricter state laws, should govern the state’s bullet-train ...
Aug. 13, 2013 - U-T San Diego
- Joe Barton in FOXNews
I owe Hugo Chavez nothing. Nothing-zip-nada,said Barton. "The US in the last 50 years has given trillions of dollars to the Third World. But to say they are going to be ravaged by climate change and deserve 'Greenmail' strains...
- Warren Lichtenstein in Reuters
Never, ever accepted greenmail -- and we never will accept greenmail,Lichtenstein said at the news conference.
- Carl Icahn in Forbes
Now there is no greenmail,Icahn said at a hedge fund conference in New York on Feb. 15.