gird : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v prepare oneself for a military confrontation
The U.S. is girding for a conflict in the Middle East
- v put a girdle on or around
gird your loins
- v bind with something round or circular
- In the parlance of campaign schedulers, this is "down time" for Walter Mondale, a chance to recover from one ordeal on the stump and gird for the next.
- Guided by then chief financial officer Gary Kelly, the airline assembled a strategy to gird against potentially calamitous surges in oil prices.
- And yet, even as Western cities gird for more carnage, reports from Western Pakistan claim that al-Qaeda's Number 2, Ayman al-Zawahiri has been surrounded and that his boss can't .
News & Articles
- Taksim Square activists gird themselves for police raid
ISTANBUL, Turkey, June 13 (UPI) -- Istanbul activists girded themselves for a police raid after Turkey's prime minister said he ordered authorities to end all anti-government protests Thursday.
June 13, 2013 - UPI
- Protecting NYC: Mayor's plan, successor's question
NEW YORK (AP) — A $20 billion plan to gird New York with levees, flood gates and other defenses is a bold stroke from a mayor who saw the city through Superstorm Sandy and has championed preparedness for global warming. But the future of Mayor Michael Bloomberg's sweeping proposals will largely rest with his successor.
June 12, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Success of Bloomberg's NYC climate change plan rests with his successor
A $20 billion plan to gird New York with levees, flood gates and other defenses is a bold stroke from a mayor who saw the city through Superstorm Sandy and has championed preparedness for global warming.
June 12, 2013 - The Journal News
- Joe Biden in ABC News
Gird your loins,Biden told the crowd. "We're gonna win with your help, God willing, we're gonna win, but this is not gonna be an easy ride. This president, the next president, is gonna be left with the most significant task. It's like...
- Rudyard Griffiths in Ottawa Citizen (registration)
This prime minister and federalists in both parties who voted for this motion are going to have to gird their loins and get ready to fight separatism on a new front,said Rudyard Griffiths, executive director of the Dominion Institute.
- Robert Fisk in The News International
Fisk warns about the real US agenda, "We must gird ourselves for the next struggle against 'world evil' in Pakistan".