gas : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the state of matter distinguished from the solid and liquid states by: relatively low density and viscosity; relatively great expansion and contraction with changes in pressure and temperature; the ability to diffuse readily; and the spontaneous tendency to become distributed uniformly throughout any container
- n a fluid in the gaseous state having neither independent shape nor volume and being able to expand indefinitely
- n a volatile flammable mixture of hydrocarbons (hexane and heptane and octane etc.) derived from petroleum; used mainly as a fuel in internal-combustion engines
- n a state of excessive gas in the alimentary canal
- n a pedal that controls the throttle valve
he stepped on the gas
- n a fossil fuel in the gaseous state; used for cooking and heating homes
- v attack with gas; subject to gas fumes
The despot gassed the rebellious tribes
- v show off
- Illuminating gas engineers were amazed last week.
- Charles Krauthammer has an absolutely compelling, and completely unexpected, argument for a gasoline tax in the Weekly Standard.
- An emergency gas mask that can be made at home was demonstrated in Manhattan last week by the American Women's Voluntary Services.
News & Articles
- Gas Commission gives PGW go-ahead for natural-gas cars
A city panel Tuesday approved a Philadelphia Gas Works request to buy 24 natural-gas vehicles, even though the utility acknowledges it would cost less to buy conventional gasoline cars.
June 12, 2013 - The Philadelphia Inquirer
- Gas mains closed, site secure on Far South Side
Two gas mains have been shut down amd the site has been secured after a Level II hazmat situation was called late this morning on the Far South Side.
June 11, 2013 - Chicago Tribune
- Gas prices go under $4
Gas stations overnight were selling gas for under $4. Read more at www.WISHTV.com
June 11, 2013 - WISH-TV Indianapolis
- President Bush in Chicago Tribune
That means building a new generation of safe, clean nuclear power plants in this country. It means making tough decisions about opening new offshore areas for oil and gas development. It means continued investment in advanced biofuels and clean... Barack Obama http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHQ0yfPaaXFGqLKymRgcres0I2nuA The Guardian (blog) http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2010/jan/28/us-politics-barack-obama&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFaDKBLZA9UL5ZqH_CjqHbom3CoSQ Jan 27, 2010
41166 52806 gas Americans could use this money as they see fit - to help meet theirmonthly bills, cover higher costs at the gas pump or pay for other basicnecessities," Bush said in a brief statement from the Roosevelt Room of theWhite House. "Letting...
- Arnold Schwarzenegger in Reuters
In a letter to Obama, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger asked the president to "direct the US EPA to act promptly and favorably on California's reconsideration request, so that we may continue the critical work of reducing our greenhouse gas...