- s producing no result or effect
a futile effort
- s unproductive of success
futile years after her artistic peak
- Inister's attempt at saving the talks was futile. Her counterpart had already made up his mind not to give an inch.
- In 1923 Hart Crane, who wrote a poem about Chaplin, said his pantomime "represents the futile gesture of the poet today.
- Achewood defies categorization or description, but a brief, futile attempt at a synopsis would go something like this: A bunch of cats, some robots, a bear and an otter who's 5 .
News & Articles
- Soccer-No alarm bells despite poor showings by German youth
By Karolos Grohmann BERLIN, June 13 (Reuters) - The image of Germany's much-praised youth system was dented this week when the country's Under-21 team completed a poor European showing for their junior squads, but soccer officials say there are no alarm bells ringing. Tournament favourites Germany went out of the European championships in Israel with two consecutive defeats before a futile 2-1 ...
June 13, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Man arrested after poor attempts at burglary and disguise, police say
Lake Oswego police say they've arrested a man for burglary after he broke into a family's garage and was spotted by a teenage boy. The man's attempt to disguise himself by taking off his shirt proved futile.
June 12, 2013 - KATU Portland
- US Open 2013 Favorites: Championship Odds for World's Top Players
Trying to pick a favorite in a golf tournament is an interesting, if not futile, exercise. Somebody unexpected gets hot, a strong player suddenly finds his putter is in a non-cooperative funk and all of a sudden there’s chaos on the leaderboard. The 113th U.S. Open this week at Merion Golf Club in Ardmore, Pa. has the potential for plenty of roller-coaster moments, but here’s a list of the top ...
June 11, 2013 - Bleacher Report