fastball : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n (baseball) a pitch thrown with maximum velocity
he swung late on the fastball
- But the players knew their coach's fastball was major league scary.
- Kathy Willens AP But there it was, thrown out by the players' union in the owners' direction late last week like a wicked split-fingered fastball: Collusion.
- Actually, there is one pitch that Marichal prefers not to throw: his best one, the fastball.
News & Articles
- Once again, Logan Shore lives up to sizable expectations
Each time Logan Shore fired his 94-mph fastball, people took notice. It impressed anyone who heard its pop while befuddling opposing hitters. The 6-2, 210-pound pitcher is 8-0 and has given up only three earned runs in 47? innings. He has struck out 60 batters and walked only five.
June 13, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Miller learns valuable lesson in loss to Mets
Shelby Miller has been able to blow his fastball past hitters for pretty much his entire life. Whether he is ahead or behind in the count, facing lefty or righty, his entire history tells him that the one thing he should never do is walk a hitter. This is entirely, eminently, reasonable. Up until the point at which it ceases to be.
June 13, 2013 - Major League Baseball
- Yasiel Puig Takes Fastball To Face, Stays In Game, Sparks Huge Brawl
Dodgers superman Yasiel Puig continues to impress , and his latest feat is taking a fastball to the face and managing to get up and take his base—something that eventually led to a big fight. Your browser does not support iframes. It took the rookie slugger a while to recover, of course. Puig's 0-2 so far in the game, dropping his average to a pedestrian .471, but this is impressive nonetheless ...
June 12, 2013 - Deadspin
- Edwin Jackson in San Jose Mercury News
It's one of those moments where you're just caught up in the moment. It's one of the craziest games I've had, especially the game starting off how it did. Not being able to find the strike zone with the fastball,Jackson said. "Good thing I...
- Chase Utley in Washington Post
Fastball, middle of the plate,Utley said. "I was just trying to put the ball into play."
- Terry Francona in PhillySportsline
I thought he threw some good pitches,Boston manager Terry Francona said about Matsuzaka's outing. "I thought he had some depth to his slider and there was some differential, and I thought his fastball was good. Just a lot of deep counts."