evensong : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the sixth of the seven canonical hours of the divine office; early evening; now often made a public service on Sundays
- n (Anglican Church) a daily evening service with prayers prescribed in the Book of Common Prayer
- Then the evensong begins, with the choir in blue robes and white cottas.
- For evensong rubberneck wagons, taxis, excursion trains brought gaping crowds from miles around.
- At once a voice arose among The bleak twigs overhead In a full-hearted evensong.