etched : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v make an etching of
He etched her image into the surface
- v cause to stand out or be clearly defined or visible
a face etched with pain
the leafless branches etched against the sky
- v carve or cut into a block used for printing or print from such a block
- v carve or cut a design or letters into
- v selectively dissolve the surface of (a semiconductor or printed circuit) with a solvent, laser, or stream of electrons
- s cut or impressed into a surface
- Today, millions of transistors, each costing far less than a staple, can be etched on wafers of silicon.
- We love every minute of this sardonic portrayal of life on Hollywoods fringes (the characters surrounding Steele are etched in acid).
- Primates and Philosophers, De Waal's eighth book, released last year, argues that morality is not a high trait we acquired late but is etched into our instincts.
News & Articles
- Contemporary "Canopic Jar" sells for $290,000 at Bonhams New York
A suite of eight Pierre Bobot lacquered and gold leaf panels from the Roseland Ballroom, New York, circa 1947. etched PRS B within a box, height of each panel 87in (221cm); width 31in(78.7cm); depth 2in (5.1cm). Sold for US$ 68,500 inc. premium. Photo: Courtesy of Bonhams.
June 19, 2013 - Art Daily
- Celebrating Ford's 1,000th win
Ford Racing has etched another milestone in motorsports history. With Greg Biffle’s win at Michigan this past weekend; Ford Racing has officially won 1,000 races in NASCAR’s top three divisions. Ford Racing’s 1,000th victory was won at a very appropriate spot on the NASCAR schedule as Ford leads all manufacturers with 33 races won at Michigan. This weekend was also a homecoming of ... Keep reading
June 18, 2013 - Motorsport.com
- Producer S1 Explains Why Kanye West's 'Guilt Trip' Was Cut From 'Watch The Throne'
After bringing the beat in on Kanye West's 2010 smash "Power," producer Symbolyc One (a.k.a. S1) has etched his sonic initials into 'Ye's hardware once again on the rapping producer's sixth studio effort Yeezus . The beatsmith, real name Larry Griffen, Jr., arrives in the fourth quarter on Yeezy's latest catalog with one of the more emo tracks "Guilt Trip," pumping the bass and fiddling with ...
June 18, 2013 - Vibe Magazine
- Peter Dawson in USA Today
We stand here today in this avenue of heroes, this avenue called Anzac, this avenue with its monuments of steel and of stone, silent still but speaking to us softly with the voices of 100,000 souls, each one of them with their name etched with care... Kevin Rudd http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Rudd&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFR87s_UH5-PqadVdNSEDyNX5oZIA The Australian http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23596912-22242,00.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEciUlcFGGW9zmpPyK-l0QghaP9Iw Apr 24, 2008
34264 43768 etched I don't think this champion has anything to worry about with asterisks etched next to his name," Royal & Ancient chief executive Peter Dawson said. "He proved that last year."
- Prince Charles in Telegraph.co.uk
I believe the date of the London bombings is etched vividly on all our minds, as a brutal intrusion into the lives of thousands of people,the Prince said. "Tragically, as we know, some were not so fortunate as to walk away from what...