- v add details, as to an account or idea; clarify the meaning of and discourse in a learned way, usually in writing
She elaborated on the main ideas in her dissertation
- v produce from basic elements or sources; change into a more developed product
The bee elaborates honey
- v make more complex, intricate, or richer
- v work out in detail
elaborate a plan
- s marked by complexity and richness of detail
an elaborate lace pattern
- s developed or executed with care and in minute detail
the elaborate register of the inhabitants prevented tax evasion"- John Buchan
the carefully elaborated theme
- The Kissels are rich, or used to be, so it's tempting to savor the elaborate murders and betrayals the family has endured as a long lost episode of Knots Landing.
- Build an elaborate enough course and you'll feel like a little kid playing in the snow again, zooming downhill, popping up in the air, wiping out on a ramp jump a la Evel Knievel.
- Critics say Landmark is an elaborate marketing game that relies heavily on volunteers.
News & Articles
- Mother Shocked to Learn Blogger Stole Photos of Her Son in Elaborate Hoax
Tennessee mother Sarah Gilliam was shocked to learn a blogger stole photographs of her 5-year-old son, Jack, from her website and used them to create an elaborate web hoax. The unidentified blogger from North Carolina pretended to be the mother of a boy who had died of leukemia. Gilliam, a professional photographer, was alerted to the stolen pictures when she received an email from The Warrior ...
June 12, 2013 - Opposing Views
- REPORT: British Tabloid Spent $230,000 In Plot To Catch Pop Star In Cocaine Scandal
An elaborate scheme involving private jets and Bollywood stars.
June 12, 2013 - Business Insider via Yahoo! Finance
- Decatur Police say leaders of 'elaborate criminal organization' selling crack are convicted murderer, sex offender
Police here said they have uncovered an "elaborate criminal organization" responsible for distributing crack cocaine and arrested its two leaders, including one who was on parole from a previous murder conviction and in jailed as a sex offender.
June 11, 2013 - The Huntsville Times
- Jessica Lynch in International Herald Tribune
The bottom line is the American people are capable of determining their own ideals of heroes and they don't need to be told elaborate lies,Lynch said.
- LaDainian Tomlinson in International Herald Tribune
It's definitely torn,Tomlinson said after sitting out Wednesday's practice. "I can't really elaborate on it because I don't want to give too much information away."
- David Gallop in CNN
They had a long-term system of effectively two sets of books and the elaborate lengths they have gone through to cover this up has been extraordinary,said Gallop on the official NRL Web site. "It was through this system that they were able...