- v bring into difficulties or distress, especially financial hardship
- v cause mental pain to
- s causing distress or worry or anxiety
distressing (or disturbing) news
- s bad; unfortunate
- That has caused considerable concern among observers and ethicists who note that neither the media attention directed to Sbire's distressing appeal to die, nor the public .
- Many distressing pregnancy tests later, they both have to come to terms with impending parenthood, which, of course, involves actually getting to know one another.
- Together they represent a distressing flaw in the social fabric of America.
News & Articles
- Courthouse in Galesburg tests positive for radon
The northeast corner of the Knox County Courthouse is shown. After asking the county’s Building Committee for a radon test report numerous times, Sheriff David Clague finally got the results this week, and what he found was distressing.
June 13, 2013 - Peoria Journal Star
- Areas of courthouse test positive for radon; sheriff says it's a 'grave concern'
After asking the county’s Building Committee for a radon test report numerous times, Sheriff David Clague finally got the results this week, and what he found was distressing. Multiple areas in the County Courthouse building have tested positive for the radioactive chemical, including areas that hold the county’s information technologies department and a waiting area for potential jurors. A ...
June 12, 2013 - The Galesburg Register-Mail
- President Bush in Telegraph.co.uk
Without immediate action by Congress, America could slip into a financial panic, and a distressing scenario would unfold,Mr Bush said as he worked to resurrect the package, which had been lambasted by both sides on Capitol Hill. "Our...
- David Miliband in guardian.co.uk
Miliband told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Obviously the sight of a mass murderer getting a hero's welcome in Tripoli is deeply upsetting, deeply distressing, above all for the 270 families who grieve every day for the loss of their loved ones 21...
- Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett in guardian.co.uk
Today, the foreign secretary, Margaret Beckett, attending a meeting of the G8 nations in Berlin, said it was "clearly a very distressing time for all concerned", adding: "Foreign Office officials are offering help and assistance to the next...