distress : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n psychological suffering
the death of his wife caused him great distress
- n a state of adversity (danger or affliction or need)
a ship in distress
she was the classic maiden in distress
- n extreme physical pain
the patient appeared to be in distress
- n the seizure and holding of property as security for payment of a debt or satisfaction of a claim
Originally distress was a landlord's remedy against a tenant for unpaid rents or property damage but now the landlord is given a landlord's lien
- v bring into difficulties or distress, especially financial hardship
- v cause mental pain to
The news of her child's illness distressed the mother
- Financial distress, after all, usually leads to emotional distress, and epidemiologists are working to identify which populations are hardest hit.
- Only mental distress was strongly correlated with acne in both boys and girls.
- They also found that reminders of having spent money aggravated feelings of social distress and that both social rejection and ideas of physical discomfort fueled participants .
News & Articles
- Blaze burns two Adelanto houses
ADELANTO A firefighter suffering from heat distress was taken to a hospital Friday afternoon after battling a two-alarm, two-house fire in Adelanto, according to San Bernardino County Fire Department officials. "A firefighter assigned to the interior fire attack showed signs of heat distress...
June 22, 2013 - Victorville Daily Press
- LDAS finds tethered dog in distress, another dead
Lee County Domestic Animal Services responded to a call at 1016 Habersan Ave. regarding two dogs tied out without water on Wednesday. When officers arrived one of the Bull Mastiffs was dead and the other was in obvious distress.
June 21, 2013 - WINK TV Southwest Florida
- Wilton Animal Nonprofit Seeks Donations To Help Injured Kitten
WILTON, Conn. – Animals in Distress, a no-kill cat shelter in Wilton, needs the community’s help to pay for the medical care of an injured kitten. The stray 8-week-old male kitten was found caught in an iron fence. Shelter organizers estimate he had been caught in the ...
June 21, 2013 - The Daily Norwalk
- Barack Obama in New York Times
In strongly worded remarks delivered in the White House East Room before small business owners, Mr. Obama called AIG "a corporation that finds itself in financial distress due to recklessness and greed."
- Kiefer Sutherland in Forbes
I'm very disappointed in myself for the poor judgment I exhibited recently, and I'm deeply sorry for the disappointment and distress this has caused my family, friends and co-workers,Sutherland said after he entered his plea in the latest case.
- Elle Macpherson in NEWS.com.au
She said that she regretted "any distress or offence that her banter with an interviewer might have caused".