civilized : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v teach or refine to be discriminative in taste or judgment
- v raise from a barbaric to a civilized state
The wild child found wandering in the forest was gradually civilized
- a having a high state of culture and development both social and technological
terrorist acts that shocked the civilized world
- s marked by refinement in taste and manners
News & Articles
- VAMC prepares to celebrate 90th anniversary
— The Jack C. Montgomery VA Medical Center will celebrate its 90th anniversary with a ceremony at 2 p.m. Friday on the lawn of the Five Civilized Tribes Museum, adjacent to the medical center at 1011 Honor Heights Drive.
June 13, 2013 - Muskogee Phoenix
- MUSIC & MORE: Daniel Ellsworth returns to Crooked I
Nashville independent rockers Daniel Ellsworth and the Great Lakes have wrapped up work on their second album. That's good news for fans who loved the inspired and insistent tuneful pop they delivered on the their debut album, "Civilized Man."
June 13, 2013 - Erie Times-News
- Archie, Edith and Bobbie Burns
To see oursels as ithers see us!” That is the civilized wish expressed by the poet Robert Burns. And in my white family — among millions of other such families — that was the wish that Archie Bunker fulfilled.
June 11, 2013 - Rexburg Standard Journal
- President Bush in San Francisco Chronicle
We feel admiration and compassion for the monks and peaceful protesters calling for democracy,Bush said. "Every civilized nation has a responsibility to stand up for people suffering under a brutal military regime like the one that has...
- Scott Stanzel in International Herald Tribune
We will be fighting violent jihadists for peace and security of the civilized world for years to come. The brave men and women of the US military are fighting extremists in order to stop them from attacking on our soil again,Stanzel said.
- Condoleezza Rice in Boston Globe
This barbarous act has no place among civilized people and shocks the conscience of all peace-loving nations. There is no cause that could ever justify this action,Rice said.