- n a crude uncouth ill-bred person lacking culture or refinement
- n a selfish person who is unwilling to give or spend
- n a bad-tempered person
- A small churl, however, might mention that the authors have neglected to insert quite as much humor and romance as might profitably suit the case.
- Even though you've heard it before, only a churl would stop Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in the middle of a harmless crime story like "Six Thousand Enemies" (at the Capitol) since at least .
- Praise has turned to reproach, and the two are combined in the oxymoron and paradox of the tender churl who makes waste in niggarding.
News & Articles
- Editorial: De Blasio's snowstorm turnaround
A helpful hint for all mayors: If you make a mistake, own up to it and move on. That's what Mayor Bill de Blasio did Tuesday -- and instead of looking like an embattled, misinformed churl, he came out looking like an honest man.
Jan. 23, 2014 - amNewYork
- George Vecsey in People's Daily Online
Bonds is an odious human being,veteran New York Times sports columnist George Vecsey wrote on May 2. "At first, I found myself actively rooting against Bonds because he is a churl (and not just to the press; he is actively miserable toward...