- n the basic unit of money in Ethiopia; equal to 100 cents
- n sound of something in rapid motion
- v make a soft swishing sound
- Out of that she paid the 2,000 birr for a business license and 18,000 birr for the shop.
- Olga Haptemariam acquired it in Eritrea's war-scarred port city of Massawa when she laid down 2,000 birr for a license to open a building-supply store.
- The national emblem is the camel that carried supplies to Nakfa; the country's new currency, introduced in November to replace the Ethiopian birr, is called the nakfa.