- n a grant made by a law court
he criticized the awarding of compensation by the court
- n a tangible symbol signifying approval or distinction
an award for bravery
- n something given for victory or superiority in a contest or competition or for winning a lottery
- v give, especially as an honor or reward
- v give as judged due or on the basis of merit
the referee awarded a free kick to the team
the jury awarded a million dollars to the plaintiff
- Less than two months into 1992, well before the opening of the main season for journalistic awards, and we have already bagged a big one.
- The stars showed up and the likes of Atonement, No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood took the major awards.
- Britain's version of the Grammys awards its main prizes to the Foo Fighters and Arctic Monkeys.
News & Articles
- Academy Award Winner Aaron Sorkin Writing Broadway Musical
Academy Award-winning screenwriter and playwright Aaron Sorkin, who withdrew from the upcoming Broadway musical Houdini in January, told Vanity Fair that he has another musical project in the works.
June 21, 2013 - Playbill
- Olivier Award-Winning Top Hat to Shutter at West End's Aldwych Theatre in October; New U.K. Tour to Follow
Top Hat, the three-time Olivier Award-winning stage version of the 1935 film of the same name, is to shutter at the West End's Aldwych Theatre Oct. 26, with plans for an extensive U.K. tour in 2014-15.
June 21, 2013 - Playbill
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings dies
Award-winning journalist and war correspondent Michael Hastings, whose unflinching reporting ended the career of a top American army general, died early Tuesday in a car accident in Los Angeles, his employer ...
June 19, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Barack Obama in Reuters
For top executives to award themselves these kinds of compensation packages in the midst of this economic crisis is not only bad taste -- it's bad strategy -- and I will not tolerate it as president,said Obama, who has been in the White House...
- Al Gore in The Age
I am deeply honoured to receive the Nobel Peace Prize,Mr Gore said in a statement. "My wife, Tipper, and I will donate 100 per cent of the proceeds of the award to the Alliance for Climate Protection, a bipartisan non-profit organisation...
- Taylor Swift in Detroit Free Press
I was standing onstage and I was really excited because I'd just won the award and then I was really excited because Kanye West was onstage,Swift said to reporters. "And then I wasn't excited anymore after that."