- s (used especially of glances) directed to one side with or as if with doubt or suspicion or envy
her eyes with their misted askance look"- Elizabeth Bowen
- r with suspicion or disapproval
he looked askance at the offer
- r with a side or oblique glance
did not quite turn all the way back but looked askance at me with her dark eyes
- While some Americans might look askance at the prospect of Hispanization, it is already a fact of life in Miami.
- When I go out on the street, the real conservatives look at me askance: How come you're not attacking Obama? How come you believe in global warming?.
- What links the crimes is the use of a weapon usually a knife, sometimes a gun casually wielded because the victim had looked askance at his killer (most victims are boys .
News & Articles
- GEORGE WILL: OBAMA’S NEVER-MIND PRESIDENCY
At this intermission in the immigration debate, with House Republicans preparing to look askance at the Senate’s handiwork, the argument is becoming ever stranger. It has reached a boil, especially concerning border security, at a moment when illegal entries are at a 40-year low and net immigration from Mexico has recently been approximately zero, largely because enforcement efficiency has ...
July 9, 2013 - U-T San Diego
- Spitzer doesn't feel the love on Staten Island in his bid for a political comeback (photos)
Quinn and Oddo look askance at disgraced Dem, Debi Rose and Ignizio mum
July 9, 2013 - Staten Island Advance
- James Cromwell is still shaking his fists
The versatile character actor and PETA activist is always ready to question authority. He remains an effective actor, as the touching 'Still Mine' shows. Versatile character actor James Cromwell has always looked askance at authority.
July 8, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- Robert Gates in Los Angeles Times
We should look askance at idealistic, triumphalist or ethnocentric notions : that imagine it is possible to cow, shock or awe an enemy into submission, instead of tracking enemies down hilltop by hilltop, house by house, block by bloody block,...
- Alex Salmond in Telegraph.co.uk
Mr Salmond, who received a standing ovation from the party faithful as he arrived on stage, added: "People will look askance at the budget squeeze on Scotland when this morning the price of Brent crude is 86 dollars and heading for three figures....
- Gary Bauer in USA Today
The social conservative movement wants converts, so we have to be careful not to look askance at somebody that is coming in our direction,Bauer said. "And in this particular case, Gov. Romney's (Mormon) church is very pro-life, so it might...