- n the branch of pure mathematics dealing with the theory of numerical calculations
- a relating to or involving arithmetic
- Fooling around with the arithmetic of propulsion, he calculated the energy-to-weight ratio of various fuels.
- But, as a mother as well as a teacher, I would add that education is not just about reading, writing and arithmetic it's about teaching our children how to keep themselves .
- By age 12, his sister recalled, he already had a predilection for solving complicated problems in applied arithmetic, and he decided to see if he could jump ahead by learning .
News & Articles
- Double-duty fire chief to retire
There is something peculiar, maybe even singular, about the arithmetic of Mark Gandee’s working life. At age 48, he has worked for 63 years. More than six decades, as he put it, “of exposure.”
June 16, 2013 - Columbia Daily Herald
- School prayer: After-school Good News Club is 'Sunday school on steroids'
The school prayer ban is 50 years old this month. Yet there's more religion on campus than ever. The after-school Good News Club, for example, brings the fourth R – religion – that follows a day of reading, writing, and arithmetic at 3,200 public schools.
June 16, 2013 - The Christian Science Monitor
- Ben Bernanke in New York Times
The arithmetic is, unfortunately, quite clear,Mr. Bernanke said. "To avoid large and unsustainable budget deficits, the nation will ultimately have to choose among higher taxes, modifications to entitlement programs such as Social Security...
- Clint Hurdle in ESPN
I was doing Chinese arithmetic from the sixth inning on,Hurdle said. "I felt like I was in algebra class. It got wild."
- Billy Payne in SI.com
There's a lot of arithmetic in this,Payne said. "What you don't want is all of a sudden to have 100 playing participants, and we have arguably eroded the quality of the tournament. Notwithstanding folks' opinion of how the best way to get...