- a deriving oxygen from the air
he studied respiration in marine air-breathing vertebrates
large air-breathing ichthyosaurs had hydrofoils
- The subsonic air-breathing missile was a sound concept before physicists found out how to fit a nuclear warhead into a ballistic missile.
- In less than half a minute Pudgy had pushed her calf, an air-breathing mammal, up to the surface to draw her first breath.
- Snark, winged, air-breathing and subtonic, will fly five to seven hours to target as opposed to 15 to 30 minutes for the intercontinental ballistic missiles still under development.
News & Articles
- Air-Breathing Rocket Engine Gets Funding Infusion
Air-breathing rocket engine. Need we say more? The technology, which sounds straight out of a science-fiction movie, has enough reality to it for the United Kingdom government to offer $90.62 million (£60 million), in stages, to a company looking to develop the engine. The money will go to Oxfordshire-based Reaction Engines, which we’ve seen on [...]
July 16, 2013 - Universe Today
- UK Space Agency Invests Into Development Of Air-breathing Rocket Engine
ESA The UK government has announced plans to invest in the development of an air-breathing rocket engine -- intended for a single-stage-to-orbit spaceplane -- following the ESA-managed feasibility testing of essential technology. The 60 million euros investment, provided through the UK Space Agency, will back technical improvements leading to construction of a prototype Synergistic Air-Breathing ...
July 16, 2013 - redOrbit
- Britain to develop engine to take spaceplane into orbit
OXFORD, England, July 16 (UPI) -- The British government says it plans to invest $90 million in the development of an air-breathing rocket engine intended for a single-stage-to-orbit spaceplane.
July 16, 2013 - UPI
- Sarah Palin in Los Angeles Times
Palin writes that she thought that was a splendid idea for Schmidt and his fellow staffers, whose "chain-smoking, junk-food-packing, recirculated-air-breathing habits were probably catching up to them."