- v declare to be true or admit the existence or reality or truth of
She acknowledged that she might have forgotten
- v report the receipt of
The program committee acknowledged the submission of the authors of the paper
- v express recognition of the presence or existence of, or acquaintance with
He never acknowledges his colleagues when they run into him in the hallway
She acknowledged his complement with a smile
it is important to acknowledge the work of others in one's own writing
- v express obligation, thanks, or gratitude for
We must acknowledge the kindness she showed towards us
- v accept as legally binding and valid
acknowledge the deed
- v accept (someone) to be what is claimed or accept his power and authority
The Crown Prince was acknowledged as the true heir to the throne
- Rather than acknowledge the mistake, as is American journalistic convention, with a clearly posted correction or clarification, the Telegraph simply changed the copy on their web story after the Department of Defense complained.
- Chen Kaiges stately, volcanic epic was one of the first Mainland films to acknowledge that damage wrought by Maoism.
- Executives who operate these sites acknowledge the concerns but say they lack the ability to monitor millions of daily exchanges and can't even verify members' ages.
News & Articles
- John Oliver on Hosting His First Daily Show: ‘This Is Weird’
Let's all just acknowledge for a moment that this is weird,John Oliver said last night as he began his three-month tenure as the host of the Daily Show while Jon Stewart directs a movie. But honestly? It wasn't that weird. Oliver handled the ongoing NSA controversy with the same ... More »
June 11, 2013 - Vulture
- Video: In 'Daily Show' hosting debut, John Oliver goes after NSA
John Oliver made his debut as the temporary host of “The Daily Show” on Monday night, and he did not disappoint. “Let’s all just acknowledge for a moment that this is weird. It looks weird, it feels weird, it even sounds weird. It sounds weird to me and this is my actual voice,” he began, joking that host Jon Stewart was taking the summer off learning to be a cobbler in Italy. (In fact, he’s in ...
June 11, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- Obama urges Xi to acknowledge, investigate cybersecurity problems
RANCHO MIRAGE, California (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama called on his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, to acknowledge the threat posed by "cyber-enabled espionage" against the United States and investigate the problem, Obama's national security adviser said on Saturday. Thomas Donilon told reporters that Obama raised specific types of hacking that the United States was concerned about ...
June 8, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in Belfast Telegraph
While we acknowledge the sincere efforts of both Turkey and Brazil to find a solution,Mrs Clinton said, "we are proceeding to rally the international community on behalf of a strong sanctions resolution that will, in our view, send an...
- Barack Obama in guardian.co.uk
Marking a change from the Bush administration, Obama said: "Israelis must acknowledge that just as Israel's right to exist cannot be denied, neither can Palestine's. The United States does not accept the legitimacy of continued Israeli settlements....
- Pope Benedict XVI in Detroit Free Press
I would like to pause to acknowledge the shame which we have all felt as a result of the sexual abuse of minors by some clergy ...... in this country,Benedict said during an address at mass. "Those responsible for these evils must be...