able-bodied : Definition, Usages, News and More
- s having a strong healthy body
every able-bodied young man served in the army
- If the village were filled with able-bodied men, who could have built rainwater-collecting units on rooftops and in the fields, the situation would not be so dire.
- One night I went to bed able-bodied and woke up handicapped.
- When he set his sights on the Olympic Games in Beijing, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) ruled he couldn't compete against able-bodied athletes.
News & Articles
- Mass. Senate Debates Plan To Reform Welfare
The bill would require that able-bodied people demonstrate they have tried to find work before they can become eligible for public benefits.
June 20, 2013 - WBUR Boston
- Mass. Senate to debate plan to reform welfare
BOSTON — The Massachusetts Senate is set to take up a welfare reform plan drawn up by Democratic leaders. The bill scheduled for debate on Thursday would require that able-bodied people demonstrate they have tried to find work before they can become eligible for public benefits. The proposal unveiled on Monday by Senate President Therese Murray also calls for steps to reduce welfare fraud ...
June 20, 2013 - Boston Herald
- Services held for WWII veteran Russell Verby, 90
Believing that flying should be strictly for the young and able-bodied, Russell Verby nearly shot down the offer.
June 20, 2013 - Tulsa World
- Oscar Pistorius in 940 News
This case is important not just to me, but to all disabled persons who just ask for the chance to compete fairly on the sporting field with able-bodied athletes,Pistorius said earlier this month.
- JÃ³n SigurÃ°sson in MLive.com
Ossur CEO Jon Sigurdsson wrote recently to the IAAF, telling the federation that Pistorius "does not have a technical advantage over able-bodied athletes. Based on biomechanics alone, it is simply not possible for him or any amputee to have an...
- Natalie du Toit in AFP
I don't even think about not having a leg and if I want to keep competing I will have to continue to qualify with the able-bodied. For me it's not about the disability at all,said du Toit who lost her left leg in a motorcycle accident seven...