threaten threaten /θ ˈrɛ tən/
- (v) pose a threat to; present a danger to
- (v) to utter intentions of injury or punishment against:
- (v) to be a menacing indication of something:
- On occasion, we've had to threaten military force, and Saddam has backed down.
- The rich have to realize that their irresponsible spending patterns could threaten social stability.
- That would cue Saddam Hussein to demand his opportunity to send armored forces to threaten Israel by marching through Jordan or Syria or both.
- A group of wildfires threaten thousands of residents throughout Colorado and hundreds of inmates from an area prison. The fires have destroyed nearly a hundred homes and nearly seven thousand people have evacuated the area. Officials report that 2,300 homes are directly threatened by the flames. About a thousand prisoners had to be transported from an area prison, mainly as a precaution, as ...on June 13, 2013 Source: Gawker
- A line of massive storms threatens millions of people in the Northeast. The storm system has already struck the Midwest, with several tornadoes touching down in Iowa. Gayle King reports.on June 13, 2013 Source: CBS News
- US Dollar, S&P 500 Threaten to Overturn Multi-Month Rising Trendson June 13, 2013 Source: DailyFX via Yahoo! Finance
- Mr Obama said: "Should North Korea decide to take this action, we will work with all interested partners in the international community to take appropriate steps to let North Korea know that they cannot threaten the safety and stability of other...on Apr 3, 2009 By: Barack Obama Source: Times Online
- "At this point, it does not threaten the site, but we know that these tracks can change, and we're paying very close attention to it," Allen said in a briefing Saturday. "We know the weather is unpredictable and we could have a sudden,...on Jun 27, 2010 By: Thad W Allen Source: USA Today
- "We are fighting a war against al-Qaeda and its extremist allies, who directly threaten the United States, Afghanistan, and our friends and allies around the world," Gates said. "Going forward, we must pursue this mission with a unity of...on Jun 22, 2010 By: Robert Gates Source: The Associated Press