- v obtain by seizing forcibly or violently, also metaphorically
wrest the knife from his hands
wrest a meaning from the old text
wrest power from the old government
- NASA has no plans yet for any manned expeditions beyond the moon, largely because of its inability to wrest more funds from a Congress whose members are already divided over the .
- As her pregnancy progressed, Awilda was so lost in the pipe that relatives managed to wrest custody of her first two children, Rubencito and Kasey, from her.
- Men in suits thought they would be able to wrest it from someone so crippled by anxiety that she practiced saying "Merry Christmas" before giving her first staff party.
News & Articles
- Gulf Arabs call for U.N. Security Council meeting to prevent Homs massacre
RIYADH (Reuters) - Gulf Arab states called on the U.N. Security Council on Monday to meet urgently to prevent a massacre in Homs, as pro-government forces in Syria try to wrest the city from rebels fighting to topple President Bashar al-Assad. Assad's army and allied fighters launched an offensive against rebels in control of the central city on Saturday after scoring victories against the ...
July 1, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Martinez breaks down dome boxing matchups
[...] a nasty cut suffered in a title fight last fall has relegated “The Cobra” to bystander status for this week's Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. card at the Alamodome. For one thing, the hard-hitting super flyweight is friends with Marco Antonio Rubio, who will try to wrest the WBC middleweight title from Chavez. Donaire will meet Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. in the co-main event in a tilt for the vacant WBO ...
June 30, 2013 - San Antonio Express-News
- Earnhardt sets record to earn pole for tonight’s race at Kentucky Speedway
The questions during NASCAR Sprint Cup qualifying Friday were how many drivers would raise Kentucky Speedway’s record and by how much. Dale Earnhardt Jr. provided the answer of the eight that broke it, clocking 183.636 mph to wrest the mark from Hendrick Motorsports teammate Jimmie Johnson and the pole for tonight’s race.
June 29, 2013 - Jefferson City News Tribune
- Ron Wyden in TVNZ
The court's decision has stopped, for now, the administration's attempts to wrest control of decisions rightfully left to the states and individuals,Wyden said.
- Pat Robertson in International Herald Tribune
And if we decide we're going to wrest East Jerusalem away from the Jews and give it over to the Palestinians, we're risking the wrath of God on this nation, and I think it's very dangerous,Robertson said.
- Graeme Swann in AFP
It was nice to bat with a good mate of mine and put on a hundred to wrest the initiative back in our favour,said Swann. "It was drifting horribly away from us."