- n a comedy characterized by broad satire and improbable situations
- n a composition that imitates or misrepresents somebody's style, usually in a humorous way
- v make a travesty of
- Is it a travesty? Or could it just possibly be closer in grim, gritty spirit to the original Grimm-era fairy tales than the Disneyfied, infantilized versions we're used to?.
- But in so doing, they travesty Arbus.
- Joss Whedon saw his script for the 1992 movie Buffy the Vampire Slayer made into a one-joke travesty of a teen comedy.
News & Articles
- To save Congress Square, throw all the bums out
Last month, the Portland City Council’s Housing and Community Development Committee voted 3-1 to enter into closed-door negotiations with the hotel development company vying to buy Congress Square Park. Since then, developments in Istanbul and Old Orchard Beach have shown Portlanders two ways to address this travesty should the full council be foolish enough to approve the sale of our park in ...
June 13, 2013 - Bangor Daily News
- Black Community and Elected Officials Demand Justice for Ramarley Graham
It is a tragedy when a parent has to bury a teenage son who was shot and killed by a police officer. It is an even bigger travesty when justice does not prevail.
June 13, 2013 - New York Amsterdam News
- Sides battle at hearing over West Davis freeway
Sides battle at hearing over West Davis freeway by Lee Davidson The Salt Lake Tribune Published Jun 11, 2013 08:46PM MDT Farmington • Scores of protesters opposing the proposed West Davis Corridor freeway blasted a song Tuesday outside a public hearing to show their opinion of the road: “Highway to Hell” by AC/DC. “It’s a travesty,” said Heather Dove, past president of Great Salt Lake Audubon ...
June 12, 2013 - The Salt Lake Tribune
- John Dingell in Forbes
Under current law, these boys and girls are entitled to their benefits,said Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich. "Continuing to not provide them with coverage is a travesty."
- Javier Solana in Africasia
The withdrawal...... is understandable, given the unacceptable systematic campaign of violence, obstruction and intimidation led by the Zimbabwean authorities,Solana said in a statement. "The elections have become a travesty of democracy."