- n extreme mental distress
- n unbearable physical pain
- n intense feelings of suffering; acute mental or physical pain
- n the act of distorting something so it seems to mean something it was not intended to mean
- n the deliberate, systematic, or wanton infliction of physical or mental suffering by one or more persons in an attempt to force another person to yield information or to make a confession or for any other reason
- v torment emotionally or mentally
- v subject to torture
- Once it was only Islamist militants who could expect torture in police stations; now even apolitical citizens run the risk of being brutalized.
- No, not the heavy metal band, the medieval torture device.
- First the FISA violations, now news that the Obama Administration will release the so-called "torture memos" written by the Bush Administration's Department of Justice from 2002 to .
News & Articles
- Undercover Investigation Reveals Horrific Animal Torture At Amazon.com Foie Gras Supplier
LOS ANGELES, June 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Shocking hidden-camera video of intentional animal torture secretly recorded at Hudson Valley Foie Gras—an Amazon.com foie gras supplier—has been released by ...
June 12, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Little-Known ‘Torture Camps’ Bend Minds for Chinese Regime
While the Chinese regime has been making noises about abolishing its notorious system of forced labor camps, another, parallel apparatus, more extensive, less regulated, and equally violent, has mostly escaped notice. In a recent article, the Dui Hua Foundation, a … The post Little-Known ‘Torture Camps’ Bend Minds for Chinese Regime appeared first on The Epoch Times .
June 12, 2013 - The Epoch Times
- Torture is Torture - It's Illegal and Wrong
Twenty-five years ago, President Ronald Reagan vigorously championed U.S. ratification of the international Convention Against Torture, which he signed on April 18, 1988. Reagan acclaimed it as having marked a significant step in the development of international measures against torture and other inhuman treatment.
June 10, 2013 - The Christian Post
- David Cameron in Newsweek (blog)
Of the inquiry's focus, Cameron said that "While there is no evidence that any British officer was directly engaged in torture in the aftermath of 9/11, there are questions over the degree to which British officers were working with foreign security...
- President Bush in ABC News
This government does not torture people. We stick to US law and our international obligations,Bush told reporters in the Oval office. "There are highly trained professionals questioning these extremists and terrorists."